Oh, is Lucas ever good at being a toddler! Our biggest battle right now is meal time. Lucas was always a terrific eater. He would eat anything and everything when it came to baby food. He loved his fruits and veggies and delighted in trying new foods. Nowadays, I am lucky if he eats more then a few bites of something before it ends up on the floor. The only lunch meat he eats is ham & bologna. Healthy, right? He will not eat chicken (grilled, fried, nuggets, etc) or turkey. He doesn't like fish. I can't get him to eat eggs, either scrambled or hard boiled. He doesn't usually eat beef. He ate a mini cheeseburger a few weeks ago when we were out to dinner, but wouldn't eat the leftovers the following day. He will only eat a few bites of veggieburgers. He won't eat pasta or spaghetti sauce. When it comes to veggies...no thanks! They are on the floor before I even finish putting them on his tray. I'm not a fan of giving him juice, but I have resorted to giving him the Juicy Juice Harvest Surprise because it contains vegetable juice. He also gets half a Flintstones Vitamin per our peds suggestion.
I hate to admit this but right now Lucas' diet consists of fruit, nutrigrain bars, turkey franks, cheese (he does love his cheese), grilled cheese sandwiches, sometimes mac & cheese, ham, bologna, pizza, milk, juice, raisins, carrots, cereal and crackers. I want him to have good eating habits, but he won't eat anything but crap! I think his biggest issue right now is texture. If he doesn't like the way something feels he won't try it and if he does get it into his mouth he spits it out and looks repulsed. If he doesn't like something he throws it on the floor. I have no idea how to get him to stop this. I have recently started making him pick up all the food he drops on the floor when he is done eating. So far this is something he enjoys doing so it really isn't getting him to change his behavior. My biggest thing is the waste. Not only what he throws on the floor, but all the half eaten cans of vegetables, or boxes/bags of food that he decides he doesn't like.
Anyone have any suggestions? Other types of foods to try? What are your toddlers favorites?
Friday, January 23, 2009
One can't live on hot dogs alone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Don't worry. It's just a phase. Just continue with the good stuff. Try giving him vegetables first and rewarding him with his favorite "crap" when they are all gone. Or you could always try tricks like melting cheese on broccoli, or hiding veggies in food. My kids LOVE spinach lasagna. There's a good book by Jerry Seinfeld's wife called "Deceptively Delicious". I have a copy if you'd like to borrow it. My favorite recipe was chocolate chip cookies with CHICKPEAS in them! Very good.
I don't have experience yet with Hannah in the toddler years, but I taught in a private school with a preschool attached for 4 1/2 years. And I can say with certainty that it is just a phase. I'll be interested in everyone's suggestions to file away for Hannah. =) Oh, and I second Jessica Seinfeld's book. It's really awesome. (Although you have to actually get the kids to eat the things the food is hidden in =)
Sounds like he picked up his Mommy's eating habits. =)
I agree with Lauren on thois one. He just wants to eat what Mom is eating. :)
Post a Comment