Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Naughty Spot

If you have ever watched Super Nanny, then you know what the naughty spot is. Lucas is a very good little boy, but he does have a couple of bad habits we need to break. 1. Biting. Most the time this is done out of frustration. He gets upset and doesn't know how to "release" his rage. :) We usually can stop him before he clamps down, but Friday he bit my arm leaving a bruise and broken skin. 2. Throwing, mainly his sippy cups, usually at the dog. He thinks it is hysterical when Pacey scurries across the hardwood floors.
His naughty spot is up against the door upstairs. It is a place where we can see him, but he can't see us. He has to sit there for 1 minute. (The length of the time out is suppose to be the number of minutes equal to the childs age.) He has caught onto it really quickly and will go sit down in his naughty spot when we ask. The first two days he just sat there quietly. Today when he has been in the naughty spot he has either whimpered or cried. I think he is realizing that the naughty spot is not a fun place. He has actually decreased both the above mentioned behaviors since the naughty spot was introduced Sunday. Super Nanny is awesome!

Here are pictures of Lucas in his naughty spot. (He wasn't actually in trouble.)


2 comments:

Khara Brooks said...

Ahhhh yes...the naughty spot. Isn't it fun when they are old enough to discipline? LOL. Sounds like you're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a bad uncle for laughing out loud, but I couldn't help but laugh when I start reading your post. Time outs are very effective with Riley as well, and the earlier you start the easier it'll get (I'm told). Keep it up!